Headlines

iStock

California analyst predicts $31B budget surplus
Associated Press
That means public schools and community colleges could see an $11 billion increase.

Commentary: The importance of including student voices within early alert systems at community colleges
New America (blog)
If students’ voices are not included, colleges make the mistake of relying on technology as their silver bullet to meet institutional goals of retention and completion — while ignoring the student experiences behind those data points and missing the mark.

Community college enrollments in Oregon begin to stabilize, but decade of decline is worrying
Oregon Capital Chronicle
Community colleges enroll 60,000 fewer students today than they did a decade ago – a 40% drop – as Oregon’s population has grown.

Community colleges face steep losses in Black freshmen enrollment
Bloomberg
As enrollment drops, experts worry about the implications down the line as public two-year degrees often offer a path to better, higher-paying jobs.

‘Game changer’: Austin Community College approves new manufacturing bachelor’s degree
KXAN
The Texas college’s trustees this week approved the bachelor of applied technology degree in manufacturing engineering technology, making it the third bachelor’s degree to be offered by the college.

Commentary: We need to maximize the workforce potential of our community colleges
Austin American-Statesman
In advance of Texas’ 2023 legislative session – what many are hoping will become a “workforce sSession” – it is essential to look at community colleges’ role in workforce development.

Expanded grant program will give more North Carolina students money to attend community college
News & Observer
The Longleaf Commitment Grants can cover the cost of tuition and fees for up to two years for low-income students who graduated in 2020 or 2021.

Doña Ana Community College nursing program will accept Vista College students
KFOX14
Doña Ana Community College’s nursing program will accept students from the recently closed Vista College in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

About the Author

Daily Staff
CCDaily is published by the American Association of Community Colleges.
The owner of this website has made a committment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.