Eddie Tealer will serve as the new president of Eastfield College, effective Oct. 15. He has served in his current position of vice president for business services at North Lake College since 2014. Both colleges are in the Dallas County Community College District (DCCCD) in Texas. Tealer joined DCCCD in 2008 as a senior financial analyst on the district’s bond management team. He also served as district director of business services from 2010 to 2013 and as executive director of business services from 2013 to 2014.
In Maryland, The Daily Record has named Community College of Baltimore County President Sandra Kurtinitis one of the state’s 2018 Most Admired CEOs. The newspaper selects winners based on professional accomplishments, community service and letters of reference submitted by co-workers, board members and community leaders showing the CEO’s leadership and vision. (Kurtinitis also serves as chair of the American Association of Community Colleges board of directors.)
Brian Durham will serve as executive director of the Illinois Community College Board, effective Dec. 1. He has served the board for 16 years, most recently as deputy director for academic affairs. Durham is a statewide leader in remedial education reform, the implementation of career pathways, the expansion of apprenticeship programs and the design of transfer programs.
Sean Hancock is now the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District’s first vice chancellor of student and institutional success. Before coming to the California district, Hancock was vice president of instruction and student services at Palo Verde College (California). At San Joaquin Valley College (California), Hancock served for 10 years as director/CEO of its Modesto campus, which he helped start in 2004.
- Cheree Williams is now vice president of academic affairs. She comes from Lanier Technical College, where she was interim vice president of academic affairs and also dean for general education.
- Meghan McBride is the new dean for adult education. She previously was assistant registrar at Albany State University.
- Cory Thompson is executive director of marketing and communications. Since 2015, he has served as the college’s director of marketing.
- Bryan Sexton was named executive director of advanced manufacturing. He has worked at the college since 2007.
- Jill Ellis is director for institutional effectiveness. She had worked as director of institutional research, assessment and planning at Spelman College since 2009.
At Long Beach City College in California:
- Lisa Orr is the new dean of social science, business and arts. She joined the college in 1999 as a faculty member and has served as interim dean since 2017.
- Anthony Pagán is now associate dean of career and technical education. He began teaching at LBCC in 2014 in networking and computer security.
- Deborah Miller-Calvert is the new director of student health and student life. She previously was director of housing and residence life at Chapman University.
- Maria Ek Ewell is the new director of disabled student services. Her past experiences includes special education and school psychology at the Los Angeles Unified School District and counseling at other local community colleges.
At Miami Dade College (MDC) in Florida, Bryan Stewart is now president of its Medical Campus, and Tommie Norris is dean of the Benjamin Leon School of Nursing.
Prior to joining MDC, Stewart was vice president of the Trinity River Campus at Tarrant County College (Texas) where he implemented numerous programs in nursing and allied health. He also has served in various other leadership roles at Tarrant.
Norris previously served in various leadership capacities at the University of Tennessee Health Service Center College of Nursing, including director of the BSN and clinical nurse leader programs and department chair.
At Madison Area Technical College in Wisconsin:
- Shawna Carter is now associate vice president of strategic academic initiatives. She also will continue as dean of human and protective services.
- Denise Reimer was promoted to executive dean of health education and applied science, technology and engineering. She was dean of that department for five years.
- Marsha Tweedy is now associate dean of business and applied arts after serving as interim associate dean for one year.
- Sarah Fritz is now dean of faculty, a new role at the college. She was director of the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
- Jenny Bentley is director of human resources information systems.
- Kristin Gebhardt is director of special projects and program development for the Center for Entrepreneurship.